China and Tibet 2006 - Lhasa
The really beautiful thing about Lhasa is the buzz. It was also a relatively comfortable base for us. We had relatively clean places to stay and had decent food most of the time. It was very cool to hang out with Zhao Shuo and Ye Zi. They are basically very kind hearted girls and very fun to hang out with as well. I really wonder how they are doing now.
Lhasa was really awesome. The best that it has to offer is the Potala Palace - the residence of the Dalai Lama. I knew that I had to go there the moment I saw its picture. I have never seen another building that almost moved me to tears. It was an indescribable feeling. I just felt overwhelmed by its majesty. I have seen some of the greatest palaces in this world, including the forbidden city and the Versailles Place but the Potala Palace just have a mysterious attraction to me. At that moment, I really felt that I would die with regrets if I had never seen it in person. It is really a classic "To see before you die" place. The real thing is just like what you see in the picture, and I strongly recommend that everyone should see it.
Overall, Tibet was a fantastic experience. Although the economic migration of Han Chinese immigrants has affected the traditional Tibetans lifestyle, it also made our trip a lot more comfortable. Trust me, it was already very tough with all these amenities. Although a little disappointed, I still count myself lucky to have come early enough to witness whatever that is left of the Tibetan culture before everything is lost. The completion of the Qing-Tsang Railway has created a even more economical and accessible medium for mainland Chinese to enter the Tibetan plateau. At this rate, it won't be long before the most ingeniously of the Tibetan culture be swept under the rugs of tourism and globalization.

1 Comments:
beautiful pictures and wonderful narration to go with it. i hope to be able to visit tibet and nepal at least once in this lifetime.
4:55 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home