Namsto Lake
This will be my last of my entries on Tibet. Namsto lake is the world's highest saltwater lake at 4900m and also one of the most visually stunning ones. Quite fittingly, the pictures will be amongst the best that I have ever posted on this blog. You really have to click on some of the pics to do them justice.

3 Tibetan woman paddling prayer flags to tourist on their way to Namsto Lake.

The road to Namsto lake. A Tibetan nomad overlooking his grazing yaks.

Tents of a Tibetan nomads. A simple and by no means easy way of life.

It was mid summer but the altitude was high enough to keep the mountain caps frozen.

Glancing at the Namsto Lake from a mountain pass

Simply stunning and captivating scenery

A Tibetan settlement that sprung up with the influx of tourist to a previously rather unaccessible lake

The lake itself

Locals renting out horses for a living

That's heavy me on the tiny peony


Enjoying a moment of tranquility

The initial excitement quickly turned into pain as I succumbed to altitude sickness (AMS). Climbing from 3500m Lhasa to 4900m Namsto Lake in 5 hours is one of the surest way to make your head explode. As a general rule, you should not climb more than 400m in one day if you want to avoid AMS. I tried my best but I still didn't really enjoy myself that much when I was there. The lake will appear a lot more blue if we climbed up the hill (see below) but there was no way that the 2 of us could ever make it. It's like the hammer pounds on your head 2 times harder (compounded!) with every step you climb. the breathlessness was equally bad, with the air so thin, i would have no qualms with paying big bucks for an hour in the oxygen spa. Sigh.. weaklings.

For such religious group of people. the Tibetan's brand of architectural and religious practices is a key highlight of your visit. It's not uncommon to see these prayer flags draped on mountain passes and holy lakes. The aesthetics of vibrant coloured flags on the backdrop of the blue blue skies is simply brilliant. The way it flaps in the wind is both enchanting and liberating.


Apparently, pool is a really popular game in China, even in the hidden corners of Tibet. The are actually 10 other tables placed beside this one.

The religious structure is typical of Tibetan Buddhism and could be seen outside Potala Palace (Lhasa) as well. The 'rocks' on the left foreground are all inscribed with scriptures. Certainly a much more durable medium than prayer flags.
Seriously, I can't quite believe that I was even at Namtso Lake. This place is so stunning when I look at the pictures again but pain certainly left a much deeper impression than the beauty. It's not entirely bitter, there were also moments of reprieve when the headache and breathlessness disappears. And when that happens, all of a sudden, you realize that you are in paradise after all, and that you are living your dream, right here right now.
1 Comments:
Breath taking! Btw MAy I know what camera you are using? passerby
3:23 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home